HI, I’M KATIE, A MAGAZINE JOURNALIST TURNED GREETING CARD CREATOR WHO LOVES LATTES, POSSIBILITIES, AND HELPING OTHERS LIVE AND TELL INSPIRED STORIES.
I started A Place to Dwell way, way back in 2008 as a place where I could grow — as a writer, an artist, and a woman who was just starting to find her faith.
Over the years, A Place to Dwell has become my place to capture the colorful moments of life and give thanks to God for the story He is writing for me — even when it’s unexpected. I continue to learn that His plan is always, always better than mine and that the good stuff, the growing stuff, is often found in the unexpected chapters we find ourselves in.
I have a magazine journalism degree and am an experienced writer and editor for a variety of mediums, including magazine and newspaper features, greeting cards, eBooks, and social media. I've written and edited for national hobby and lifestyle publications, and I have been blogging since 2008. I also wrote and published an eBook called An Inspired Life: Living Fully & Creatively in Every Season.
Interested in collaborating with me on something fun, fresh, and fabulous? Click here to learn more.
How about a few fun facts and favorites?
- I’m an INFJ, which I guess means I’m a “quiet extrovert.” I was also greatly amused when I read that INFJs often pursue expressive careers such as writing and blogging. YEP. :)
- My first word was purple. For a while, the love affair waned a bit, but it’s back on my favorites list in full force…along with pink, teal, chartreuse, yellow, and let’s be honest, pretty much all of the other bright, happy colors out there.
- I LOVE lattes, but I might be the slowest coffee drinker you'll ever meet. My drink size of choice at Starbucks? SHORT! ;) Unless of course it’s an iced latte…Well, now, that’s a whole ‘nother story.
- I don’t think I’ll ever tire of stripes or polka dots.
- I love anything with a bit of retro charm —from antique treasures waiting to be discovered in dusty antique shops to fabulous fifties and sixties-inspired dresses.
- Favorite authors? Kate Morton (fiction) and Shauna Niequist (non-fiction). I'm also usually reading more than one book at a time and frequently checking out way too many books from the local library. But I have to agree with Austin Kleon that collecting books is a worthwhile pursuit and that "nothing is more important than an unread library."
- My favorite quotation is “I dwell in possibility” (Emily Dickinson), and my favorite word is lovely ... and smitten … and maybe plethora … Actually, I’m sure I could keep adding to this list.
- I have a thing for typography, hand lettering, and beautiful fonts. A friend once joked that a gentleman caller would be well advised to bring me a bouquet of fonts, rather than flowers. (For the record, I love both.)
- I used to be the managing editor of a scrapbooking magazine, and I owe my love of collage art and art journaling to that super fun and inspiring gig. Working in the world of scrapbooking also helped me to see and celebrate the joy and beauty in everyday moments.
- I'm passionate about encouraging single women to wait on God purposefully, rather than passively (check out my Single Girl's Bucket list). And even though my season of waiting and praying for a Godly marriage has stretched much longer than I ever thought it might, I'm still hopeful that God's working on a pretty amazing story that'll be more than worth the wait.